Saturday, May 7, 2011

Goin' Cornish!

So it has been a ridiculously long time since I have written a post. I been somewhere between the "way too busy to do so" and "way too lazy to do so" state. 

That seems to be my same excuse for the gym.
hah.
I just realized that.

So I just finished school for the semester.
WHOO!
My first year of grad school-check!

I just started my first grownup job.
It has benefits! I'm talkin' vision, dental, medical, AND life insurance!

It's been a little difficult deciding what I am going to do about everything, though.
This is a job that people tend to stick around and keep for at least a year. I will only be at this job for the summer, unless somehow ASU changes their mind and lets me keep it as part of the work variance program. 
Considering how cooperative ASU has been in the past, I may as well kiss this job goodbye.
Thanks a lot, MSW degree!
I sure hope you're worth it.

I am really loving my job right now. 
This one family that I am working with is so funny and I am starting to feel like I am fitting in. This is quite an accomplishment for me. 
As you can imagine, it's a little awkward just being there in some family's home and not knowing what to do when a kid is refusing to listen to their parents. 
It's not like I have been taught how to redirect a child's behavior.
I guess somehow I will be taught this technique later?
All I can do is say, "Johnny, please, if you do this, we can do something fun later".
If that doesn't work.. well... darn.

My agency doesn't believe in traditional approaches such as punishing bad behavior and rewarding good behavior. We can encourage kids to do things, but we're not to punish bad behaviors. The agency says that most likely the parents have tried this traditional approach, which may work for most kids, but not all; therefore, we have to try a new approach. 
I suppose this makes sense. 
This is different than the way I was raised, and I think most people as well, so it's been hard to change my thinking. 

I don't have traditional hours, but I like that!
I am rarely in an office, which is nice because I am not an office type of person. 
Each day is definitely different, but it's nice!

In other news:
David just got a job as a fancy schmancy law clerk!
We're both so grownup now!
Do grownups call themselves grownup?
Probably not.
We celebrated our job success last night with Cornish pasties!
and double celebrated with a peanut butter, banana, and raspberry jelly pasty.
It was amazing.
I love not being a burden on society. 
This would be a first for me.
Yay for celebrating!



2 comments:

  1. Yay I've been waiting for a new post! Glad you are feeling grown up, it's a great feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh and what's a Cornish pasty?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback. Leave a comment, please :)