Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas with the Lakes

This year was my FIRST Christmas away from home. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to feel about it. I never really felt that my family has all that many traditions in relation to Christmas except that we always get together for a big turkey dinner and at New Years we have a big empanada dinner to celebrate my abuelita's (grandma's) birthday. 
 It was weird not traveling to Texas for the Christmas break, but I felt pretty good about it as we got closer to Christmas day because I have been away from home for quite a while now. However, I wanted to at least keep some of the Moses traditions and bring one of them to AZ.  This year I was able to bring cranberry salad to Christmas dinner. Although the food wasn't the same as the traditional meal that the Moses family always has, it was definitely yummy.  It felt so good to keep a little tradition from my childhood, but it was also interesting to see how the Lake family celebrates Christmas. I felt like a little 5 year old who gets excited for Christmas. I had Christmas songs in my head the whole night before and I probably only got like 3 hours of sleep. I was a mess! I was overwhelmed by the anticipation. In more recent years, Christmas has become less of a surprise. I was really liking it that way, to be honest. I hate surprises. Well... actually, I'm very impatient and I hate waiting for the surprises to be over. I want to know what it is and not knowing just kills me!!! Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic.  Anyway, it was really difficult.  The Lakes like to make sure that everything for Christmas stays a surprise and it was totally overwhelming for me, but in a good way. I could not wait for Matthew, David's brother, to wake up so that I could have an excuse to wake David up. Fortunately, at 7:35 or so, I received a text. I immediately heard Matt get up, which was music to my ears. 

I sneaked a peek, which I guess isn't allowed. Ooops! It was beautiful!
We ran into Lisa and Greg's room and we watched a video about serving on Christmas. It really helped to put us in the perspective of what Christmas is really about. It's about celebrating the birth of our Savior  who is the greatest gift of all. 
Christmas this year was extremely overwhelming. I am SO blessed! It was nice to reflect and see that David and I aren't in need of anything. I have a wonderful and loving husband, who is constantly doing sweet things to "remind" me that he loves me- as if I could ever forget?  I have a great family-on both my husband's side and my side, who loves and supports us. I know I have a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me. What more could I ask for? 





Mr. Marles (Probably spelled that wrong) just wants to be pretty! He actually put the bow on himself! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback. Leave a comment, please :)