Saturday, February 4, 2012

Jenny's Jolly.....Meals

Alliterations are hard to make with Js.

I was in the mood for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup, salad, and breadsticks this weekend, but instead David and I went to Long Wong's to eat wings instead. Although I enjoyed the wings, my belly still ached for some of that soup! I decided I would make some today for dinner and I have to admit, it was pretty amazing. Plus, we saved a few bucks! Who can complain about that? I also made it with some rolls from a recipe that I got from my friend Rachelle (Good job, Rachelle!). I thought I'd share the wealth :) I made a few adjustments here and there based on the ingredients in my kitchen. Enjoy :)


Soup Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Italian sausage
  • 2 large russet baking potatoes , sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large onion, chopped(I didn't use any. Just onion powder because David doesn't like the texture of onions. Weird, I know!)
  • ¼ cup bacon bits (optional-I didn't use any)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I just used 1 clove)
  • 2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped(I used spinach because I didn't have kale)
  • 2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream (I used cream cheese instead because I didn't have cream. It's basically the same, right?)
  • I also used some crushed red pepper flakes for a little spiciness.   

Directions for soup:


  1. Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.
  2. Brown sausage in your soup pot.
  3. Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.
  4. Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot.
  5. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
  6. Add sausage (and bacon).
  7. Salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
  9. Turn to low heat.
  10. Add kale (or spinach) and cream.
  11. Heat through and serve
    Directions for swirly garlic bread rolls:
    Garlic bread seasoning 1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons of kosher salt (I used regular salt. Still awesome)
    2 tablespoons of garlic powder
    2 teaspoons oregano
    2 teaspoons basil
    2 teaspoons marjoram
    2 teaspoons parsley
    (I used about a tablespoon of olive oil in place of some of the butter. A half cup seems like a lot of butter!)
    Cheesy Garlic Bread Swirls
    1 Tablespoon of active dry or bread machine yeast
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
    1 egg, separated
    4-5 1/2 cups flour (I used a cup of bread flour in place of some of the regular flour. Whole wheat may be good too!)
    1/2 cup real butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons of Garlic Bread Seasoning (recipe above)
    1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese



    1. Combine the yeast, water and sugar in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

    2. Add salt, vegetable oil, and egg yolk and combine. Add 3 cups of flour and mix well till combined. Continue to add flour till it barely sticks to your fingers. Knead bread for another 2-3 minutes. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.

    3. While dough rises, combine butter and garlic bread seasoning and then set aside.

    4. When the dough has risen roll the dough out into a 18 by 6 inch rectangle. Smear garlic butter over the surface. Then sprinkle with cheese.

    5. Roll up the dough jelly roll style and then use floss to cut it into 12 equal slices for really big rolls, I cut them into about 22-24 equal slices. Place into a muffing tin sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and cover with a clean cloth. Preaheat oven to 350 degrees F. Allow rolls to rise while oven heats.

    6. Bake for 18-22 minutes, watch for cheese to brown.

    This Recipe came from "Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen" cookbook pages 32, 33, and 53

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback. Leave a comment, please :)