Monday, October 11, 2010

Class

Right now I am sitting in class. I just couldn't resist taking this opportunity to write in my blog.

We are talking about gender roles and sexism, which is always interesting.
For those of you who don't know about my background or how I was raised, here it goes!
I was raised by a very loving father who is retired from the military and a mother who is hardworking and very feminist. Because my dad is not only retired, but also disabled, he raised us while my mom went off to work.  Because the gender roles were switched for me, I was sorta raised under the ideal that it doesn't matter which parent works as long as there's money to pay the bills and raise the kids.

This was something I struggled with during David and I's engagement. I started wondering if I could be a stay-at-home mom and give up my career because I have worked very hard at getting an education and am even furthering my education. I thought that it was all or nothing.
Later on I realized that I am actually not at all opposed to being a stay-at-home mom, as long as I am appreciated for what I do. Being a mom-especially a good mom, is very hard work! However, I have no problem with letting David take all the responsibility to make sure that our family is financially secure because I know that it can be a hard job as well (Thanks, love).

I am happy where I am and it's comforting to know that I will be taken care of. I really lucked out and picked a good one! (Yes, that's right, David. I picked YOU, not the other way around ;) ) It's also comforting to know that if I do want to go back to work (which I do) after the kids are grown, I have that option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback. Leave a comment, please :)